Monday 17 November 2014

Sounds of Silence

This poem has been written for my best friend's little autistic brother Pushkar.

Sitting in a place where silence echoes
And the painting on the wall looms large
Where even the air seems to be making noise
With the little boy in my lap
I try to understand him
Yet, for some reason, I can not
I watch him sit calmly, soundlessly
Mourning the stillness
That speaks of some unknown displeasure
I stare at the mute Casio in his hand
Half expecting it to spring to life
I curse myself for not being able
To give words to his tunes of silence
I look at him again
Into those eyes gazing at some distant land
Not looking into mine
Yet, expecting me to understand
I listen to the muteness that surrounds us
And that stillness tells me that I know him
And I nod; he laughs
And his laughter echoes with the sounds of silence.



No comments:

Post a Comment