Friday 14 November 2014

I’m still that little girl

Today as I woke up in the morning, my eyes fell on a portrait of Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru in the newspaper that my mother had just placed on my bed. I sat up and read the lines written below it. “Commemorating the 125th birth anniversary of Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru” I called out to my mum “You didn't wish us mama, today is children’s day.” “Is it 14th?” she asked returning with a cup. “Oh, then Happy children’s day.” My mother’s casual wish made me smile. I realized that I’m no longer that little girl wearing frilled frocks who would have been given a warm hug and lots of chocolates on this day. I am a seventeen year old now who ought to be content with a casual “Happy Children’s day.”And I was reminded of some of the teachers in school who now need to be told “Sir/Ma’am, It is children’s day today!”
Today as I sit reflecting on those years spent munching wafers and enjoying tangy toffees, I wonder where’s that little girl who would run with Dad around the house if the weather wasn't good enough to play outside? Where’s that girl who would throw a tantrum if asked to wear that red frock. Where’s the girl who would catch as many toffees (chocolaty melody, to be specific) as she could when Dad would throw some into the air asking both of us (me an’ my sis) to catch them (even helping himself to some)? Where’s that girl who would count the number of stars in her notebook? Where’s the girl who would reach school early in order to sit on the flower shaped chair? Where’s that girl who would run around telling everyone that it is children’s day and children really deserve something special on the day?

The little girl inside me today, urges me to be that little girl yet again. I hear her say softly to me “You are still a little girl. Just that you have given in to the norms of the society to behave like a sensible teen. Don’t you want to have those tangy toffees again? Don’t you want to wear those frocks yet again? Don’t you want a treat on children’s day?” And I realize that my taste buds still tingle for that tangy taste (Alas! Those toffees aren't available anymore), I still want to catch toffees thrown in air (I can catch more now; I've got bigger hands, wink. . .) I still want to play stupid games in the rain. I still want to celebrate children’s day with the same gusto. I still want to be that little girl again. And today, I pledge, for this one day, I will be that little girl yet again because I still am the little girl I once was...


No comments:

Post a Comment