Saturday 1 November 2014

A creepy night

It was a pleasant night. I was sitting in the comforting arms of the sofa by the living room window. The cool breeze was scraping over my face and blowing my hair in all possible directions. The whole house was in a deathly silence. I was alone, reading ‘The Shining’ (Stephen King). The setting was perfect. The distant barking of the stray dogs provided the necessary background sound. Fear had gripped every inch of my body. The book was giving me the creeps! Suddenly, breaking the silent lull of the house and startling me, the doorbell rang. I bookmarked page number 89 and ran to open the door thinking my parents had returned. But, I was wrong! The open front doors revealed a little girl, I had never seen. “Your parents are calling you to that place” She gestured towards some far off house, partially hidden by the huge Banyan tree. “Could you lead me please” I was curious as well as nervous. After fidgeting with the keys for some time, I left with her in a jiffy. The place was dark. “Perhaps the street light is not functional….Common in this street” I said to the girl barely visible in the dark. “Yeah…so, here.” Unexpectedly, she pushed me into the house which I realized was famously known as “The haunted mansion” by the children of the colony. I heard the lock click but my eyes failed me in the dark (a mistake for which I have still not forgiven them and have burdened them with specs!). I mustered the little courage I had and dared to step ahead through what I guessed was the hallway. Somewhere a guitar string was plucked and the vibrating sound after ricocheting off the walls was ringing in my ears. I increased my pace, throwing my arms wildly in all direction to avoid being hit square in the face by some wall. My hand suddenly touched something. I clutched the thing and felt it. Being a biology student I whacked my brain and came to the conclusion that it felt like a bone! I had no interest in knowing whether it was the femur or a broken part of the rib cage and so, I shrieked and dropped it. My heart was beating hard against my chest and I was drenched to the bones in sweat! And then it all unfolded like the plot of a horror film…those strange, eerie sounds made their way to my ears. I started running so fast that I could have won India a gold had I been in the Olympics! The heavy sound of footsteps told me that someone was chasing me. I looked back to make my hair stand on its ends…it was a skeleton. I shouted and ran…getting hit every now and then by a bone flung at me or getting soaked by the blood being splashed (that’s at least what I thought!) I then found the staircase and tried climbing it but wicked witches and skeletons looked down at me with glaring, fiery eyes! I ran for the door, but as expected, it was locked! I turned around to witness death closing its jaws on me! All the skeletons and witches were closing down on me! The sound of the wails and howls pierced my ear drums…but it was gradually dying down…the scene was becoming hazy….I was about to faint and fall when the chorus of “It’s us!” gave me the strength to sit down instead of lying flat on the floor! The lights were flicked on and the skeletons had removed their masks to reveal my parents and friends! We all sat laughing till with my dad’s gesture, the creepy sounds died away and silence enveloped the house once again as we left. I hesitantly looked over my shoulders and saw a skeleton bidding me goodbye. I clutched my dad tighter and smiled to myself as he looked down at me…


No comments:

Post a Comment