Sunday 23 November 2014

A Schizophrenic’s Love Poem

I whip up two coffees
One with an extra spoon of sugar for you
I set it on the table and peer out
Through the cold glass of the window
Pulling the muffler tighter
Almost choking, I loosen it again
I see a figure striding down the driveway
I smile; it has got to be you
Though I see you clearly, I deny your existence
For they say, I see things that cannot be

I get back to my room’s dark reality
I see two coffees getting cold
I sit alone with the two cups
Waiting, waiting for you
I run my fingers along
The patterned silk of the tablecloth
You didn’t like the silk one
I change it to the white laced cover
Though I hear the creaks clearly
I deny your existence
For they say, I hear things that cannot be

I focus on the chair’s broken arm
You don’t like sitting on that one
I switch my chair for yours
I still wait with the two cups
I can’t take in its aroma now
I hear you climbing up the stairs
It won’t be long before you enter
To have a coffee gone cold waiting for you
Though I hear the squeaks of your Nike clearly
I deny your existence
For they say, I hear things that cannot be

I look at myself in the mirror
I still wear the apron with the burn mark
I remove it, lest you should feel it’s dirty
I see you enter my room
You give me that sunny smile
And as you bend down for a peck
I shut my eyes tightly
I spill the coffee
I break the mugs
And I deny your existence
For now I know, I see things that cannot be


No comments:

Post a Comment