Wednesday 1 October 2014

A Daughter’s Lament

When I wake up from my dreams
I don’t want to see the ceiling and the fan
But you, oh mother!
I want to breathe in that scent of yours
I want to hear the thump of your heart
I want to feel your sighing breath

Waking up from a deep slumber
Time and again when I realize
That it’s not your soft lap but my bed
On which I closed my eyes and dreamt of you
Oh mother! Can you understand my pain and agony
Of growing up to an age whence
I can no longer fit into your lap

How nice were those good ol’ days
When you would pat me to sleep singing a lullaby
When you would run after me so that I don’t fall
When you held my hand and made me write my first alphabet
When you would pull back my hair into a little ponytail

People fantasize of growing up and big
But Oh mother! My fantasy is to lie
In your lap and close my eyes
Never to grow up again in my life


No comments:

Post a Comment