Friday 14 August 2015

Promises

On the 69th Indian independence day, here's a humble dedication to the men who leave everything behind to fight for our land. . .

Ask for something, won’t you Son?
I promise, I’ll try to get it for you, though I know
It’ll end up as a yet another unfulfilled promise
Promises that I always make and break

I now have stacks of promises to fulfill
Promises made in times of Joy
Promises made in utter confusion
Promises made while leaving you alone

The promise to get you a new toy
Promise of getting you books
Promise of being there with you
The promise of returning soon

As I write a yet another list of false promises
With a vacant smile, strangely, expecting
Your smiling face to appear on the page
To tell me that I broke a promise yet again

I know full well that this will end up
As a yet another letter in your neatly taped stack
From a father who carries with him just a bunch
Of unfulfilled promises made to his son





No comments:

Post a Comment